Happy Acne Awareness Month! June is the National Acne Awareness month, presented by the American Acne and Rosacea Society. Acne Awareness Month was introduced as a way of educating the public about the importance of treating acne and preventing the development of permanent acne scars. In honor of Acne Awareness Month, Dermatology PA Lauren Sundick put together the following list of the most important things that you need to know about acne treatment in Minnesota.
- Don’t hesitate to visit a professional! Over-the-counter acne treatments can be expensive, and often do not get rid of acne sufficiently. Even very mild acne is best treated with prescription medications or in-office acne treatments. Your dermatologist will be able recommend the best treatment for your skin and get rid of acne as quickly as possible.
- Acne treatments can make you look younger! Prescription-strength retinoids have been proven to not only treat and prevent acne, but they also diminish the appearance of fine lines and prevent wrinkles. It is not unusual for adults to develop acne, and thankfully the treatments used for acne also keep your skin looking healthy and youthful.
- No home surgery! There is no best way to pop a pimple. It is best to avoid picking at acne or trying to pop a pimple in the bathroom mirror; these actions can cause more inflammation on your skin, which may increase your risk of developing permanent acne scars. If a pimple shows up before a big event, its best to contact your dermatologist’s office – they will often be able to squeeze you in for a cortisone injection, which will flatten the pimple within a day or so.
- Believe the hype! The Clarisonic Cleansing Brush actually works and is an excellent treatment for acne. Cleansing your skin with the Clarisonic removes excess oil and debris from your pores six times more effectively than traditional face washing. We have seen so much improvement when our patients begin to use the Clarisonic Cleansing Brush, that we started carrying it here at Tareen Dermatology.
- Don’t ignore your skin care routine. Even people with oily skin will find that they need a lightweight lotion once they have started to use prescription acne medications. Look for a lotion that is labeled non-comedogenic (or non-acnegenic), which means that it won’t clog your pores or cause acne.
- You aren’t stuck with your acne scars! Although scarring is permanent, if left untreated, there are excellent treatments now available for acne scars. We utilize the Fractionated CO2 Laser, which stimulates your skin’s own collagen to fill in the pitted acne scars. Most patients require only one treatment.