One of the first areas on our body to show the signs of aging is, unfortunately, one of the most visible parts of the body! Sagging and increased laxity on the jawline and neck (often referred to as ‘turkey neck’) can present before other signs of aging show up. It is important to know the best ways to care for your neck and chest, in order to prevent the dreaded ‘turkey neck.’
Here are a few suggestions to follow, in order to keep your neck and chest looking youthful:
- Sunscreen is key: Protect this delicate area from the UV rays of the sun with regular sunscreen use and sun protective clothing. Many people remember to apply sunscreen to their faces, but neglect to apply it regularly to their neck and chest. The result is collagen breakdown (which leads to sagging skin) and an increase in melanin cells (the pigment forming cells of the skin.)
- Retinoids help to repair: Prescription strength retinoids stimulate the production of healthy collagen and elastin, which improve the quality of the skin and decrease the appearance of fine lines. Skin with healthy collagen and elastin is tauter, smoother, and brighter than sun damaged skin.
- Chemical Peels before the holiday season: For people who want a more dramatic improvement in the appearance of the skin on the neck and chest, chemical peels can deliver stronger concentrations of anti-aging ingredients. As the holiday season approaches, now is the time to consider having a chemical peel. Chemical peels can be used to smooth out fine lines, decrease the appearance of dark spots from the sun, and improve the elasticity of the skin.
- Laser Resurfacing for the most dramatic improvement: In order to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles, as well as even out uneven pigmentation of the skin, fractional resurfacing lasers can be used to stimulate the production of healthy skin cells on the neck and chest. By stimulating healthy collagen, skin laxity and sagging skin are improved.
- Radiofrequency for dramatic tightening: Devices, such as Thermage, which deliver radiofrequency energy to the skin, stimulate significant collagen turnover. The result is tighter skin on the neck and improved contouring along the jawline.